Monday, April 26, 2010

Motivation


It took everything I had to get up and workout this morning. I always feel great after the first 5 minutes of exercise and can't fathom why I didn't want to do it in the first place. I have always understood the concept of motivation - the Army has a couple very, very successful techniques that I was on both sides of. First formation while in training was at 0500 - dressed, shaved, and ready to run 6 days a week (and missing that formation singled you out for "extra" physical training for as long as you were awake - ALL DAY). I used to open my eyes and be ready to go without feeling groggy or tired. Not sure what happened between then and now, but waking up is rough!! I never touched a snoozed button in the first 25 years of life - and now that's just a normal reaction when the rooster starts crowing (our alarm is so annoying!! that's the point, I guess). I could understand this feeling if we stayed up late and had to get up early....but we don't stay up!! Very rarely do we stay up past 10:30...so waking up at 5am shouldn't be that bad, right?! The worst is on YogaX days when we get up at 0430....*gulp*

Since starting P90X 7 weeks ago, I do feel more energy during the day and I can tell that changes are taking place in my physique and my mind. The 2 year break after separating from the Army really took it's toll and I am anxious to get back to that level of fitness. I don't want to shrug off 60 lbs and go back to high school weight of 140...looking like a bean sprout (not that there is anything wrong with that), I just want to do some core work and get back to 190. I have so much motivation and am trying to channel it during that first 10 seconds of being awake every day. My guess is that after seeing the complete results in 6 more weeks, I won't have any more "mental" issues with jumping out of bed. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. 4:30?!? Walk in the park! I make Steve wake up at 4. :) I have a schedule to keep. :)
    I have no motivation tips, though....

    ReplyDelete